Saturday 21 December 2002

I Hate Copy Protected CD's

I have just bought a copy of Gregorians "Masters of Chant III" only to find that it will not play on my PC. As I primarilly listen to music at my PC and on my MP3 player which requires the use of a digital transfer, this CD is next to useless for me.

The only warning on the package to indicate the problem was an almost unreadable copy protection message. I consider this an infringment of my rights to play this music in the way I feel appropriate. The CD is unfit for the purpose for which it was sold.
Since the advent of electronic music distribution on the Internet and the availability of PC playable music I have personally purchased more CDs than previously, and I know this is true for many of my friends and aquaintances.

When will the music industry realise that it is cutting its own throat with this stupidity.
Of course, this didn't actually stop me from copying the CD, and their is always the analogue record which with my nice quiet Audigy card and a bit of Wave editing I'm pretty close to the original digital. Anybody want to exchange their purchased CD's for rippable versions?

No comments: