Friday 29 February 2008

MRI Results in

The MRI results are in, and things are looking good.
It looks as if the tumour hasn't grown much or not at all.

We were warned it might be difficult to tell because of the side effects from the treatments. For instance Necrosis, Oedema and irritation of live Brain cells all increase the whitening of the material seen around the tumour. In fact it was only in one dimension that you could get a clear view of the tumour and that looked very much like the one from the end of August (about 10-12mm). So NO 46mm tumour, hurrah.

The most significant positive sign, however, was to be seen in the front of the longitudinal fissure between the Brain halves. This gap had opened up indicating that the pressure in the brain had dropped. No MRI pictures available yet, but as soon as I have some I'll put them up.

Carol and the kids had been kidding me about the considerable dent that had appeared in my head along the Biopsy scar (see below). Also when I had the Biopsy I was told I would have a plate put in and that didn't seem to be conducive with this dent. So I asked what was causing this and discovered I have no plate! My skull had been stapled together after the operation and as the bone has regrown it has grown inward instead of flat (-ish). This happens sometimes apparently due to the way the blood supply is disrupted as the bone grows. You can even see this anomaly in the MRI scan, and it looks like I'll have to live with it.


So what happens now?
I carry on with my Chemo (starting cycle 4 tomorrow), and then the hospital tumour board will discuss my case next Wednesday to decide on further treatment. Most likely they will want to continue with the 6 chemo cycles as they are now. Or possibly swap to a 3 week on, one week off cycle for the last 2.

For me I'm going to enjoy the reprieve and look to taking a holiday with Carol for a couple of weeks.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Great news, just tried to ring you but just missed you. Will celebrate also tonight :)
Rob & Christina

Lyn said...

Oh that it such good news, Ian. I am so pleased.

See we said there was no plate there......!!

L x