Monday 26 May 2008

Career Decisions

To be honest my life hasn't changed a lot since I was diagnosed with my tumour nearly nine months ago. Sure, I have been through some uncomfortable therapies (and a little Brain Surgery) but I haven't been stopped from living a full life. I still work around the house & garden, do the washing up, go shopping, take holidays, (try and) keep fit, listen to music as much as ever, and enjoy the company of my family when they are around. I have also been working quite a lot, and was hoping to do so more if the treatments are finished for a while.

I guess I think about my disease several times a day. Sometimes its just when I'm taking my pills or when I accidentally see the hole in my head reflected in the mirror (or some kid stares at me just that little too long on the train), other times it is when I want to pop out and I know I have to to take a bus or rely on Carol to get me where I want to go. But none of these make me feel sad or depressed as they are just little life adjustments.

Today, though, I decided to let a colleague go to an important conference in my place. I would normally have been expected to attend this in my role, but I decided quite rationally to make sure this colleague started to take over my role more.

This was giving up on my career and it hurt!
I need to think about this....

No comments: