Wednesday 26 September 2007

Meditation

Yesterday's warmth has gone away.

About 10 years ago when I was going through a bit of a life crisis I thought I might get into meditation as a way of trying to get better contact with my inner self. As I was obviously really serious about this I bought the smallest book I could find (on Venice Beach, so you can clearly understand my frame of mind). The book was called "How to Meditate" by a guy called Lawrence LeShan. It turned out to be a very good and objective little book that explained meditation in its own terms and used "religion neutral" terms while giving examples from many beliefs.

Anyway, as you can guess I tried counting my breaths for around two weeks and not having had any out of the body experiences by then gave up. Carol's got a tattoo on venice beach probably the same day, that has lasted much longer than my meditation (I love that little butterfly today as much I did then)

Given my current mental state of up one day and down the next, I thought I'd dig the book out and start doing a little meditation for much the same reason as I did then, but with a much higher level of motivation now.

The Breath Counting starts today.

No comments: