Thursday 20 September 2007

Radiation Planning

In order to make sure I am correctly aligned with the machinery that doses out the radiation, I have to be put inside a custom made mask that is clamped down and then aligned using a bunch of laser pointers glued to the ceiling. So I was in today to get my mask made and the laser markers put in place using CT scans as a guide.

So I lie on a bench with me top off and a CT Scanner behind me while a couple of nice ladies take a sheet of warm wet flexible translucent green plastic and lay it over my face. On each side of the gooey plastic are metal clamps that are clamped down to the bench on either side of my head. After what seems like minutes they deem to make a reasonable size breathing hole and then start sticking their fingers in every lump and bump on my of my face - including my eyes.

Once satisfied with a good tight fit they wait for the goo to harden giving an additional poke every now and then for good measure. Once fully hardened they take a set of CT scans and then mark up the mask with various target symbols (for the laser pointers).

The newly created mask (anybody seen the movie Hollow Man?) is then unclamped and gently ripped of my face and thus removing any need for a shave today (shame about the beard though).

They then take my photograph (I guess so they can all have a good laugh later) and send me on my way.

A thoroughly unpleasant experience (and remember I had Brain Surgery 3 weeks ago).
I wonder what they do with claustrophobics, use opaque plastic?

No comments: