Thursday 18 October 2007

A chat with the Boss

I'm employed as an Enterprise & Solutions Architect for a major software provider working with both customers and internal development for providing solutions in the the Financial Services industry.


Before C day (or maybe is should be S for seizure of T for tumour) I had a job which involved long hours (sometimes all hours), and a lot of world travel working with customers and our US head office. Given my disease and its likely progression it is unlikely that I will be able to undertake my duties fully ever again, Having given this some thought, I have decided that I might go crazy if I didn't some professional interest going forward (note the drop into office speak, I'll be talking about paradigm shifts soon) even though I'm now mostly shifted to a new leading paradigm (told you).

Anyway I thought it was about time to talk to my boss and sound him out on whether he thought I could still add value even if my employment dropped to say 20% and was a lot less open to long travel stretches, and that it could at any moment stop. He said he would be happy to accomodate almost anything as long as I am happy and didn't feel over stressed and that my doctors were OK with it.

So now I just need to talk to HR on how that might effect Insurance (which keeps the salary coming for now) and any pension stuff (which keeps something coming for my family later).

No comments: